Friday 14 June 2013

Looking back on May & June 2013



  Hey all - here is what has happened with me over the spring. Enjoy!

Vernon Alberta Ski Team Camp:

   In early May, I attended the Vernon camp with the Alberta Ski Team.  Our focus for this camp was mostly just getting back on skis, getting some mileage, and working on technique and strength.  i had a good time with everyone on the ski team, and would like to thank Mike Viera and Stephan Kuhn for being awesome coaches at the camp.

May 25th: Calgary City Championships - Track and Field


   On May 25th, I had the opportunity to race at the 2013 Calgary Track and Field City Championships.  I raced in the Intermediate age group in the 3000m, 1500m, and 4x400m events. I placed pretty well in both of my individual events. I finished 4th in the 3000m out of about 13 of the fastest grade 11 guys in Calgary, and placed 9th in the 1500m, a shorter, faster, and in some ways more demanding event. In the team relay, we had a great team of 4 guys who I got to race with. During my leg of the race, I had a good pace, and ran a faster 400m than I thought I could. I was happy to represent my school's new track and field team, the National Sport School Polar Bears!

June 2nd: Camp Chief Hector YMCA Family Fun Run - 10Km

   On the first sunday in June, I did a 10Km Fun Run at the Camp Chief Hector YMCA.  It was supposed to be an easy training day for me, and I had done a 2 hour run the day before, so I decided to take it relatively easy. Easy meaning a pace that I could finish the race in around 45 minutes.  I didn't want to push myself that hard, but the course was pretty flat and rather easy to run on, so I went for it on the last kilometer or so. At the finish, many people were in awe of me, so judging by their reactions, I think I did pretty good.  My final time was 42 minutes and 14 seconds, which I personally would find pretty slow.  But, I am proud and happy for myself for accomplishing this great feat.

June 8th: Iron Maiden Cross Country Mountain Bike Race - Canmore AB




   Just last weekend, in fact, I raced in the Iron Maiden, a Cross Country Mountain Bike Race at the Canmore Nordic Center. I have been training and practicing my mountain biking a lot this spring with Matt Hadley, coach of the RMCC Rampage program, and this race proves how much I have improved.  I stayed with the lead pack for a majority of the race, even though it got spread out a bit. I was actually having an amazing race until I got a pinch flat on the first half of my last lap.  I ran down to the 'Pit Stop' area and fixed my tire.  It kinda sucked, but I got some good race experience from it.  After fixing my tire, I continued and finished the race in last place. Oh well, it happens. I am pretty new to mountain bike racing, so for my second race this year, I was doing pretty good up until my flat.


So that's pretty much what I have been doing for the past couple of months.  I have been very busy balancing school and training.  In face today I finished Grade 11 classes!  I am now officially on summer break.  I have a busy July -  4 scheduled camps in the month ahead - Canada Winter Games Team Alberta Camp, Jasper-Canmore road bike camp, Alberta Ski Team Haig Glacier Camp, and Biathlon Alberta Training Centre camp.  Looking forward to summer and summer training!

No comments:

Post a Comment